Business for social project : Project to Support Rural Industrial Development
Year 1989, PDA have created a phase 2 of Nang Rong integrated rural development project at Buriram Province, which has received financial support from CIDA, Canada. With the budgets from from phase 1 (1984-1989) under the direction of Nang Rong CBIRD Center. the project has set guidelines for rural development, especially the development of rural industry, Because there is still a lack of industrial development in the countryside resulting in labor migrate into the city and various social problems. The outstanding points of the project are :
- Able to invite industrial agencies to expand production bases into the countryside.
- Encourage villagers’ organizations to invest as entrepreneurs.
- Business is continuously managed by villagers organizations.
Later, in 1994 Mr. Meechai invited the Minister of Industry (Mr. Chaiwat Sinsuwong) to study and find the solution to expand this project further, which has resulted in a project to Support Rural Industrial Development, in order to support public benefit organizations and industrial business organizations in driving the industrial business into rural areas. This project is included in the 8th National Economic and Social Development Plan starting from 1996 to the present.
- To support the distribution of industrial production to rural areas to be efficiency and sustainability.
- To develop citizens or theirs organizations to have higher capabilities and encourage them in participation or ownership of industrial businesses.
- To increase income and quality of life of rural people.
Guidelines for implementation
PDA will introduce the project to senior management of business departments and invite them to join the project by preparing the citizens to become laborers, develop community organizations to be strong until they can be self-reliant and coordination with the government and various organizations to facilitate the business sector to create an investment. In addition PDA also helps to coordinate with the government for financial support for entrepreneurs that interested in doing business in the community as well.
The role of PDA in the project
- Supporting labor supply by surveying and studying information in areas with high potential for the development of an industrial area (Village Profile)
- Create a manufacturer profile (Business Profile)
- Analyze the current type of industrial that is spread out to rural areas
- Select industrial businesses that are stable for the business and labor groups that are ready to participate in the project.
- Arrange for both parties to sign the contract to participate in the project.
- Providing the location of the unit production development training and establish production unit.
- Joining in project management by collaborating with relevant organizations and organizing activities to improve work.
- Suggesting solutions to the problems and obstacles in rural industrial development.
- Public relations for the project
Benefits for business sectors
- Good reputation and image of business organizations
- Reduce the burden of business units for the investment in expanding production.
- Reduce production costs due to higher labor costs.
- Save the cost of personnel development, with high rate of resignation.
- Morale and pride of employees in distributing production to rural areas
- Have a great achievement in helping reduce social and environmental problems due to labor migration.
Benefitsfor the community
- Community organizations are strong and self-reliant
- People in the countryside participate in business ownership
- People have jobs and increasing incomes. No need to relocate to find work in urban areas
- Rural people have knowledge in business competency and production skills, and be able to further expand the results of industrial business operations
- Better economy, society and environment